Our tips for cleaning and caring for your sauna stones
Sauna stones are not only an essential part of a sauna, but they also play an important role in generating steam and heat. They absorb heat from the sauna heaters and slowly release it into the air, creating a comfortable sauna climate. To prolong their life and maintain their efficiency, regular maintenance and cleaning of the sauna stones is essential.
Regular cleaning of sauna stones is important to remove dirt, dust and other impurities. For this purpose, you should first remove loose particles from the stones by carefully brushing them. It is best to use a soft brush or a special sauna stone cleaner for this purpose. Be careful not to use coarse brushes or sharp cleaners, as this could damage the stones.
Another important step in the care of sauna stones is the removal of lime deposits. These are caused by evaporating moisture in the sauna and can clog the stones over time. To remove lime deposits, it is recommended to clean the sauna stones regularly with a mixture of water and vinegar. To do this, let the stones soak in the vinegar solution for some time and then rinse them thoroughly with clean water.
The stones should also be replaced regularly, especially if they show cracks or signs of wear. Damaged stones can affect the heating of the sauna and increase the risk of uneven heat distribution or even sparks. Therefore, always keep replacement stones on hand and regularly check the condition of the existing stones.
By regularly caring for and cleaning your sauna stones, you can extend their life and ensure that they work efficiently. A well-maintained sauna with clean and intact stones will ensure a pleasant and healthy sauna experience. So take the time to properly care for and clean your sauna stones to enjoy the best sauna experience possible.
Choosing the right sauna stones
Before we get into the care and cleaning of sauna stones, it’s important to choose the right stones for your sauna. Be sure to use special sauna stones that are designed to withstand high temperatures and do not emit harmful substances. Volcanic stones like olivine and peridotite are ideal options as they are heat resistant and durable.
In addition to heat-resistant and durable volcanic stones like olivine and peridotite, there are other factors that should be considered when choosing the right sauna stones.
- Size: the size of the stones plays a role in the efficiency and performance of your sauna. Choose stones that are large enough to retain heat well, but also provide enough surface area to evaporate the infusion water. A good guideline is to choose stones with a diameter of 5 to 10 cm.
- Type of surface: the surface of the stones should be porous so that the infusion water can be better absorbed and distributed. Porous stones provide an even steam and better evaporation. Smooth stones should be avoided, as they can cause the water to bead up and impair the effect of the infusion.
- Origin of stones: it is best to buy stones from trusted sources. Make sure the stones are from natural sources and do not contain harmful additives. Check the origin of the stones and look for information on quality and composition.
- Ease of care: choose stones that are easy to clean and maintain. Some stones can become worn over time from heat and water penetration. Be sure to check the stones regularly and replace them as needed to ensure optimal performance of your sauna.
- Aesthetics: sauna stones can also contribute to the aesthetic design of your sauna. Choose stones that match the overall design and atmosphere of your sauna. There are several colors and textures to choose from that can influence the ambiance and feel-good factor.
Choosing the right sauna stones is an important step in ensuring the performance and safety of your sauna. Take the time to find high quality stones that will meet the needs of your sauna and provide you with a comfortable and relaxing sauna experience.
Regular inspection and replacement
Regular inspection and replacement of sauna stones is critical to the optimal performance and safety of your sauna. Here are some reasons why you should regularly inspect your sauna stones and replace damaged or worn stones:
- Efficient heat distribution: Intact sauna stones are important for efficiently retaining heat and distributing it evenly throughout the sauna room. Damaged or worn stones may have cracks, fractures, or irregularities that can affect heat distribution and result in hot spots or cold areas. This may affect the sauna experience and result in uneven heat.
- Safety: Damaged stones may pose a safety hazard. Cracks or fractures in the stones can cause them to break apart or burst during operation. This can result in burns if hot stones fall to the sauna room floor or steam and heat are released uncontrollably. Regular inspection and replacement can help you identify and avoid potential hazards early on.
- Longer life: Sauna stones are subjected to a lot of stress from the heat and infusion water. Over time, they can become worn, porous or brittle. This can reduce their performance and shorten their life. By regularly replacing damaged or worn stones, you can ensure that your sauna stones last longer and perform optimally.
- Quality of steam: Healthy and intact sauna stones contribute to high-quality steam and a pleasant sauna experience. If the stones are damaged, they will not be able to absorb enough water. This can result in less steam and infusion effect, which will affect the relaxing and refreshing sauna experience.
It is recommended that you inspect your sauna stones at least once a year for damage or wear. Look for cracks, fractures, signs of wear or loose stones. Damaged or worn stones should be replaced as soon as possible. If you are unsure, contact a professional or the manufacturer of your sauna for recommendations on sauna stone inspection and replacement.
By regularly inspecting and replacing damaged or worn sauna stones, you can ensure the efficiency, safety and longevity of your sauna and enjoy an optimal sauna experience for many years to come.
Cleaning the sauna stones
- Removing dust and dirt: before cleaning the stones, turn off the sauna and let it cool down completely. Remove dust and dirt from the stones with a soft brush or dry cloth.
- Washing the stones: use lukewarm water and a mild soap or a special sauna stone cleaner to gently wash the stones. Avoid harsh chemicals that could damage the stones.
- Dry: After washing, allow the stones to air dry before placing them back on the sauna heater.
- Remove lime scale: In regions with hard water, lime scale can build up on the stones. Soak the stones in a mixture of water and vinegar (1:1 ratio) to loosen the deposits. Let the stones soak for a few hours and then rinse them thoroughly.
Care of the sauna heater
Regular care and maintenance of your sauna heater is critical to maintaining efficient and safe sauna performance. Below are some important steps for caring for your sauna heater:
- Cleaning the ash from a wood-burning sauna heater: remove ash from the heater regularly to ensure optimal air circulation and efficient combustion. Always wait until the stove has cooled down completely before removing the ash. Use an ash scoop or an ash vacuum to carefully remove the ash and ensure that no ash residue remains in the stove.
- Checking the heating elements of an electric sauna heater: Periodically check the heating elements of your sauna heater to make sure they are in good condition. Check them for signs of wear, cracks or dirt. If necessary, use a soft brush to remove dirt or dust from the heating elements. Damaged or worn heating elements should be replaced by a professional.
- Check the ventilation: Make sure that the ventilation slots and openings of the sauna heater are free of obstructions. Periodically check for accumulated dust, dirt, or other debris that could impede air circulation. Clean these areas carefully with a soft brush or vacuum cleaner to ensure optimal air circulation.
- Function test: periodically test the functions of the sauna heater to ensure that all components are working properly. Check the thermostat, timer and other controls to make sure they are working properly. If you notice any irregularities or have any doubts, call in a qualified technician to check the sauna heater and repair it if necessary.
- Proper maintenance: follow the specific maintenance instructions provided by the manufacturer of your heater. Some heaters require additional maintenance steps or special cleaning agents. Follow the instructions carefully to ensure that you properly maintain your heater and give it a long life.
When you clean and maintain your heater regularly, you contribute to the longevity, efficiency and safety of your sauna. A well-maintained sauna not only provides an enjoyable sauna experience, but also minimizes potential problems or breakdowns.
Disposing of sauna stones
By the way, sauna stones should not simply be disposed of with regular household waste because, as natural stones, they are considered construction waste and require special disposal methods. Here are some other ways to dispose of sauna stones in an environmentally sound manner:
- Recycling Yard: Many recycling yards accept construction waste, including sauna stones. Check with your local recycling center or waste management company to see if they accept the stones and what the specific requirements are for disposal. If properly disposed of at the recycling center, the stones can be recycled or otherwise reused.
- Reuse: If the sauna stones are still in good condition, they can be reused elsewhere. For example, they can be used in your own garden as a decorative element. A pile of stones can create a natural border or eye-catcher while creating a new habitat for animals such as reptiles and insects. However, make sure that the stones do not become a tripping hazard and are placed safely.
- Passing them on to other sauna owners: if the sauna stones are still usable but you no longer need them, you can try passing them on to other sauna owners. Use online classifieds, local sauna groups or forums to find potential buyers who might be interested in used sauna stones.
- Return to manufacturer: some manufacturers of sauna heaters or sauna accessories may offer take-back or recycling programs for their products. Check with the manufacturer where you purchased the sauna stones to see if they offer a take-back option or can provide more information on environmentally friendly disposal.
Proper care and cleaning of your sauna stones will contribute to the longevity of your sauna and ensure an enjoyable and healthy sauna experience. Be sure to regularly inspect, clean and maintain the stones as needed. In addition to maintaining the stones, you should also regularly inspect and maintain the sauna heater and other sauna components.
High-quality sauna stones you might like
Which sauna stones are most popular? Verified purchases are the best reference. That’s why our crawlers search for the best-selling products on Amazon in this category every day. The result is presented in our bestseller lists and updated daily.
|ULTINESS - Saunasteine 20 kg OLIVIN DIABAS finnische...*
|Deutsche Diabas Saunasteine 10 kg 5-8 cm, 5-11 cm oder 8-12...*
|HARVIA Saunazubehör Saunasteine 20kg 5-10cm*
|Original Harvia Saunasteine 20Kg finnische Diabas Dampfstein...*
|29,77 EUR 27,77 EUR
- The synergy of eucalyptus and menthol in the sauna - 26. December 2023
- If the sauna ventilation fails: what effects does this have on the body? - 26. December 2023
- The comprehensive guide to safe saunas: When and how? - 20. December 2023