The best tricks to remove stubborn odors from sauna towels
Sauna towels are simply part of the relaxing atmosphere of a successful spa or sauna visit. Whether used as a sauna kilt, beach towel or hand towel, sauna towels should be soft, absorbent and, above all, odorless. Often, however, an unpleasant odor stubbornly persists in the towels, which does not disappear even after repeated washing. In this article, we present you ultimate tips to remove stubborn odors from sauna towels. We will show you why sauna towels attract odors and which methods are particularly effective in removing typical sauna odor from towels.
Why sauna towels attract odors
Sauna towels are an important companion for those who regularly go to the sauna. But why do they attract so many odors? The reason lies in the properties of the material and the way sauna towels are used.
Sauna towels, which are usually used in saunas and spas, are ideal for absorbing moisture because of their absorbent nature. Unfortunately, cotton also attracts other substances such as oils, perspiration, and skin particles that can remain in the fibers and cause an unpleasant odor.
In addition, sauna towels can come into contact with various products such as body oils, lotions or fragrances during use. These substances can deposit on the fibers and lead to an accumulation of odorous substances.
Moisture factor also plays a role. If wipes are not completely dried after use or stored in a damp room, this provides ideal conditions for the growth of bacteria and mold. These microorganisms can also lead to unpleasant odors.
What is the best way to remove stubborn odors from sauna towels?
When it comes to removing stubborn odors from sauna towels, there are several methods you can try.
- Vinegar soaking method: vinegar is an effective way to remove odors. Fill a large bowl or the washing machine with hot water and add a cup of white vinegar. Let the sauna towels soak in this mixture for at least an hour. Then wash the towels in the washing machine as usual. The vinegar will neutralize the odors and leave a fresh scent.
- Baking soda treatment: baking soda is another home remedy that can effectively eliminate unpleasant odors. Add half a cup of baking soda to your regular detergent dose and wash the sauna towels at high temperature. The baking soda will help neutralize odors and freshen the towels. After washing, the towels should smell pleasant again.
- Activated charcoal pads or bags: activated charcoal is a well-known odor absorber and can also help with stubborn odors. Place activated charcoal pads or bags in the drum of the washing machine with the sauna towels. Run a normal wash cycle and the activated charcoal will absorb unwanted odors.
- Lemon juice or orange peel: Lemon juice and orange peels are natural fragrance donors that can effectively mask unpleasant odors. When handwashing sauna towels, add a few squirts of fresh lemon juice or orange peel to the rinse water. The citrus scent or orange fragrance will mask the unpleasant odors and give your towels a pleasant scent.
- Enzymatic cleaners: enzymatic cleaners are specifically designed to remove organic soils and odors. Look for an enzymatic cleaner at your local supermarket or online. Follow the instructions on the package and use the cleaner along with your regular detergent. The enzymes in the cleaner break down organic substances that cause odors, leaving your laundry smelling fresh and clean.
- Sunlight and fresh air: hang your sauna towels out to dry in the fresh air after washing. The sunlight and fresh air can help neutralize any remaining odors and give your towels a pleasant scent. Make sure towels are completely dry before folding and then placing them in the closet.
- Store sauna towels properly: The way you store your sauna towels can also help prevent odors. Fold your towels neatly after washing and drying and store them in a dry, well-ventilated area. Avoid storing damp or sweaty towels in closed containers, as this encourages odor buildup. An open shelf or rack works well to keep wipes airy and odor-free.
Removing stubborn odors from sauna towels requires specific measures to restore freshness and odor neutrality to the towels. Knowing the reasons for odor formation on sauna towels, it is possible to find targeted solutions to solve this problem.
Choosing the right method for odor elimination depends on the type of odor and personal preferences. The tips presented in this article offer a variety of ways to remove stubborn odors from sauna towels.
Ultimately, it’s helpful to try different methods and find out which works best for you. With the right tricks and a little experimentation, you can effectively remove unpleasant odors from your sauna towels and enjoy a pleasant, fresh-smelling experience every time you visit the sauna.
- Sauna serenity: a journey of self-discovery and mindfulness - 15. December 2023
- Sauna: A sensory journey through warmth and well-being - 14. December 2023
- Music & sauna as a source of deep relaxation - 10. December 2023